Adonis.js is fast as Fastify?

How many request per seconds can handle Adonis.js?

1 Like

0. Sorry to piss of you, but this is the most stupid question, I would want to answer and want the AdonisJs community to think off.

If framework X responds in 10ms and framework Y responds in 12ms, does it make any difference? The apps should have a benchmark and anything below that benchmark is good.

Build a decent size app (with database) in Fastify and AdonisJs both and then tell me which one is fast.

Finally, there are no performance bottle necks in AdonisJs and we are not obsessed with micro performance either. Please read this article too https://hueniverse.com/when-500-faster-is-garbage-553121a088c3

3 Likes

In a fast world we can talk about speed. Adonis.js has the most beautifull code structure from all of the frameworks out there, but it is too slow to build an ecommerce with many users for example, which a framework like amber or django can handle very easy a situation like that.Express.js with orm is also slow.So, let’s try to figure out a way to have also the speed included.
Cheers and have a great day!

@razvacos

Python is slower than NodeJS
https://benchmarksgame-team.pages.debian.net/benchmarksgame/fastest/node-python3.html

Go is even faster than NodeJS
https://benchmarksgame-team.pages.debian.net/benchmarksgame/fastest/go-node.html

Actix (written in Rust) is even faster than Go

http://www.kyllikki.org/hardware/wwwpic2/src/wwwpic2.asm.html
Web server over 2x faster than Nginx, about 15% faster than Actix and takes only 83 bytes of memory!
According to hackernews it is fastest web server (reference link 404s :frowning: ) . Good luck developing something on Assembly tho =)

Quite some time ago I developed WordPress 2.0 on Adonis (this project died, since Hugo is good enough for me and I made it just to learn Adonis)
But here is fetching posts performance

If I remember correctly it was 500 clients and 200k requests

Time taken for tests:   3.211 seconds
Failed requests:        0
Requests per second:    62282.69 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request:       8.028 [ms] (mean)

Time taken for tests:   429.340 seconds
Failed requests:        224
Requests per second:    465.83 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request:       1073.350 [ms] (mean)

Since I did it almost a year ago I can’t really what I used for testing. I think Apache AB or something. Test env was Ryzen 7 2700x and 64GB of RAM (might remember it wrong tho)

But even looking at that and comparing Adonis with Actix (over 20x faster) Adonis is super slow…

I think if you really need speed you should be looking at Rust.

And from the other side. How much time it will take to learn Rust?
If you finally master Rust and Actix to make anything decent in it, how much faster / slower will developing new features will be compared to Adonis?

I’m quite sure Adonis will never beat speed of Actix. But really… Servers are so cheap nowadays… It is A LOT cheaper to order better server than learn new tech stack just to get that extra speed…

Why Walmart moved to NodeJS when they could’ve moved to Rust to get even more performance? If NodeJS is fast enough for Walmart, I think it is fast enough for all pages / API’s I have been developing so far.

In the end I think you should think about does that ~10% performance increase is worth 2x longer developing time, when comparing different NodeJS frameworks (not true numbers, made them up. But that’s how they differ mostly)

Different frameworks solve different problems :slight_smile: You should choose framework based on your / team skills, problem you are trying to solve and time you have for it.

Or maybe get working product out that starts to get you money as soon as possible and when you have performance issues start to optimize? Saying "Premature optimization is the root of all evil" exists for a reason

Quite many years ago asked CTO of one bank:
"Why you develop on Java, when you could save server when you write everything in C or C++?
Response: Servers are cheaper than time and developers

4 Likes

We use Adonis along with ExpressJs and GoLang (GoKit) in a microservice architecture and various AdonisJS repositories are handling 1,000,000+ orders per day.

It’s a fair question but grossly over simplified. AdonisJs/NodeJs is fast enough for your needs. The implementation/infrastructure is down to yourself.

6 Likes

Try to compare apples with apples.Django with py 3 it is slower than Express. js, BUT it is faster than Express. js with an ORM, look at Sails.js.
Search on techempower at json serialization to see the difference.

Speed of code execusion is the last thing you should worry about when choosing a tool for you work, your own productivity is important.

2 Likes

one of the most interesting thing I love in adonis js and that made me choose this framework as a tool for my current project, is the simplicity and robusteness at the same time it may offer, with adonis you can write semantic codes that despatch comments and anyone can read the code you write with this framework. I am currently developing a MVP (saas) I didnt want to use PHP (Laravel) or Python (django) but Javascript (Node Js) I do not need to go into detail explaining why, I tried some javascript frameworks starting with express was good but the learning curve is hard for who need to grasp quickly and starting building stuffs i tried sail js didnt like the experience i had, the code base is a bit confusing i had a look at Metor Js the experience i got the same experience as with sail js, i was seeking for a framework which I could put in practice my past experience with frameworks (django and Laravel) due to what i want to build. Now if the framework is fast or not we should care but this doesnt come first if the framework or tool helps you to build fast and in the right way your project you should take into account, when you reach the marketed now refactor you have two ways to do that first give your contribuition to make the tool better or build your own custom solution. thus you win and the world as well.

1 Like

If that’s the case, there would not exist so many programming languages.

Let’s take a concrete example: if you have a project related to image processing, your first question will not even be the algorithm(s) to use but the tools to use because you will need to loop over millions of pixels per image, for each pixel you will have to study its 8 neighboring pixels given different criteria;
so for this situation you would choose a programming language over an other, for example a programming language which allows you to loop faster must be your priority (for loops in Python are slow compared to C, for instance)

1 Like

Laravel it is a great framework, the same as Adonis.js. My point of view is that in pwa/iot/mobile apps era the speed is very important.The only framework that runs 129000 json request per seconds is Django with py 3.Express.js is very slow with mysql and an orm, look at Sails.js, that it can handle only 4000 request per seconds.

1 Like

Well, then go with Django and you’ll be happy.

@razvacos
Can you show where you got those numbers for Django?

Shows Django as one of the slowest ways to go. Or are you comparing Express fetching data from database and Django responding with static JSON?

If I compare ‘SELECT * FROM users’, serialize to JSON and send response back to client I get more req/sec thoughtput on Express than Django…

And I still don’t get it why you choose Django when you need speed… Actix can run over 7 million requests per sec according to some benchmarks…

1 Like

see these benchmarks https://www.techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=data-r17&hw=ph&test=json&l=y451j3-f&c=4

According to this Django with Python 3 is about 2x slower than Laravel and about 4x slower than Express…

look at json serialization

Most likely JSON Serialziation benchmark will not give you anything useful. It is relevant only when you respond with {"message":"Hello, World!"}.

If you’d like to get any kind of relevant information you should look at Multiple queries and Data updates, maybe Fortunes and Single query too, based on your application.

Also take a look at round 18, since it is more up to date.

You can take a look at benchmarks source code to see, if is relevant at all for your application. For my most applications those benchmarks in there are totally irrelevant (but you still get something out of there). Since real life applications and synthetic benchmarks differ quite a lot.

A spa/pwa/mobile app rely on json, so it is relevant enough to see in what time an user get a response, that give your app speed.

Your Logic makes me laugh, sorry…

you have a great logic that nobody see it…don’t keep it just for yourself

@razvacos I believe it will help see the larger picture. Other replies here allude to that point - will not elaborate more.

If you believe JSON serialization is super important **and ** it is super relevant to your project, then go ahead and use the framework and be done with it. But do remember to test in your own environment, with your data and application logic. And, include ease of development into the consideration.

I have projects that use base-Adonis with real-time and batch logic, and application layer that pans mobile app and browsers supporting multiple form-factors. The server side of things necessitates different layers to be leveraged - right from database through application/business logic on Adonis including validations, role-based access, and multiple types of queries (e.g. single/multiple, different / crazy relationships).

I find Adonis better than the other frameworks that I tried out -

• ‘better’ referring to the real-world performance (which was more than acceptable)
  • … and what was probably more important for a small dev team - new features and changes were easy to develop and maintain

I do respect what you are trying to put out there, but arguments based on theoritical numbers without drilling down to specifics of a problem may not be the best approach.

2 Likes