Can't import ES6 modules

Hi there,
I’m new on AdonisJS, I’m building a NuxtJS application so I decided to go with the Adonuxt template.
I want to group form validation rules for server (indicative) and client (vee-validate) into a single file, basically a JSON object :

// rules.js
const { rule } = require('indicative')

const userRules = {
  server: { // Indicative rules
    username: 'required',
    birthdate: [
      rule('date')
    ]
  },
  client: { // vee-validate rules
    username: 'required'
  }
}

export { userRules }

I thought this way I would just have to load rules.js whether in Validators or inside my VueJS component.
Example in StoreUser.js, generated with adonis make:validator StoreUser

// Validators/StoreUsers.js
import userRules from './../validators/rules.js'

class StoreUser {
  get rules () {
    return userRules.server
  }
}

module.exports = StoreUser

I’ve got this error message when making an API call and hitting the route validator :

'import' and 'export' may appear only with 'sourceType: module'

This message seems to be related with Babel, but I don’t get it. What Babel has to do with Adonis on the backend side ?
I tried to load es2015 preset for Babel in the nuxt.js configuration file but it doesn’t help

Any tips ?
Thanks in advance

Node.js doesn’t support ES6 modules as of today with .js files. Some versions have support but with only .mjs file.

So AdonisJs cannot do much about this error

Ok I see :confused:

Then I’ll use require in Validators as well as VueJS components

const { userRules } = require('./../validators/rules')

It works :slight_smile:
Thanks for your help

Actually there is a way to do it: https://github.com/standard-things/esm
It’s an es6 module loader you can use with node 6 and above.
Simply install it as npm dependency and change your start scripts to use it.
My setup is the following(package.json)

"dev": "cross-env NODE_ENV=testing nodemon --watch app --watch start --watch config --watch .env.testing -r esm server.js",
"start": "cross-env NODE_ENV=production node -r esm server.js",

@jonasgrosch I finally opted for esm, as Nuxt had some problem to deal with require statements combined with export default {} of the vue file.
Thanks for your tip :slight_smile:

there is a cheating way allow you to do that using Babel…but i really don’t recommend it to you… but maybe i just share it to you as a reference for your consideration :

1. install these packages by doing this : npm install --save-dev babel-cli babel-core babel-loader babel-plugin-transform-async-to-generator babel-plugin-transform-decorators-legacy babel-plugin-transform-runtime babel-preset-env babel-preset-stage-0

2. create .babelrc file in the same folder where your index.js or server.js or whatever you named it ( the server file ), and type the following :

{
  "presets": [
    "env",
    "stage-0"
  ],
  "plugins": [
    "transform-decorators-legacy",
    "transform-runtime",
    "transform-async-to-generator"
  ]
}
  1. then run your index / server file with this command : node server.js --exec babel-node

but again… this is not a recommendation

I resolved my issue by using transform-es2015-module-commonjs plugin in babbel rc :slight_smile: