Connect to a External DB (RDS AMAZON)

I’m having issues trying to connect to my DB in Aurora Cluster (AWS), I migrate my project from adonis 3.2 to 4.1 in 3.2 the conexion was fine so I don’t understand why is not working now.

My .env File looks like

DB_CONNECTION=mysql
DB_HOST=aurora-cluster.cluster.us-east-1.rds.amazonaws.com
DB_PORT=3306
DB_USER=[MY_USER]
DB_PASSWORD=[MY PASSWORD]
DB_DATABASE=[MY DB NAME]

note the DB_HOST is not the real path, sorry but I cant share that info only the id is missing.

That structure was working fine on 3.2 .

This is the error
{ Error: ER_ACCESS_DENIED_ERROR: Access denied for user ‘Simple’@’[THIS IS THE IP OF MY SERVER NOT THE CLUSTER URL]’ (using password: YES)
at Handshake.Sequence._packetToError (/Users/simpledev/Development/[APP_DIRECTORY]/node_modules/mysql/lib/protocol/sequences/Sequence.js:52:14)

THe credentials are fine I’m 100% sure of that

Can you helpme please!!!

I have fought with connecting to aws rds before and there were some security groups I had to setup to allow adonis connect (both from my local for debugging and from my ec2 instance), so I would double check that.

Additionally check your database config under [projectRoot]/config/database.js

there should be a section there:

mysql: {
client: 'mysql',
connection: {
  host: Env.get('DB_HOST', 'localhost'),
  port: Env.get('DB_PORT', '3306'),
  user: Env.get('DB_USER', "someuser"),
  password: Env.get('DB_PASSWORD', 'somepass'),
  database: Env.get('DB_DATABASE', 'somedb')
},
debug: Env.get('DB_DEBUG', false)
},

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

THANKS FOR ANSWERING

I will double check the database.js but i think its fine, its weird because when i switch to adonis 3.2 the conextion to my DB is working.

Yup NP!

Now I am hardly an expert with adonis (mostly trial and error during creating an api) but one thing that helps me and could help here is try to create a minimum reproducible error.

In this case I would try to create a new 4.1 adonis project with no real business logic and a new local mysql instance (I use docker) and try to connect with that, then after success try the aws connection and debug from there.

Thats my two cents.

Can you connect to the database server from your machine using command line?

Yes.

If I run the mysql command i can connect to my DB.

The issue is when I try to use Lucid or run the migrations. Something is different in adonis 4.1 because it was working on 3.2, and I dont know what it is. Even if I try to use the IP of my aurora cluster instead of the url I get the Access denied error.

SOLVED!!!
I fixed the Issue, Everything was right.

Something was happening with my password from the driver (database.js) to the actual mysql connection.For example: my DB_PASSWORD on my .env was ‘$ample999!’ but when I check the values before the connection my password was “!”, so what I did is remove the special characters from my password and it worked!.

To check the values before the connection I opened the file
Adonis 4.1:

node_modules/knex/lib/dialects/mysql/index.js

line 101 method “acquireRawConnection” add this code “console.log(_this.connectionSettings)”

you will see the values on your terminal.

Thanks for your Help!!!