Future of Adonisjs

Hi!

My name is Gustavo, and I’ve been using Adonisjs for a while in my company projects.

I have 3 projects running in production with Adonis, and i’m very happy with my results.

But, i was thinking these days about Adonis future, and what are the plans for the framework in the future… I would like to know directly from the team that keeps the code, do you have any long-term plans for the framework?

Adonisjs is a great tool for me, and i would like to see it growing, and if i can help with anything, i’m here!

Thanks!

4 Likes

v5 is being worked on daily… The entire core codebase is being reimplemented in typescript.

Early v5 discussion happen(ed/s) here
RFCs are here
Good interview with @virk about the origin and future of Adonis here

2 Likes

Thanks @willvincent!

Well, i’ve read the links you sent me. They’re were enlightening.

Maybe I have expressed myself poorly, but when i talk about future, i mean the “philosophy” of the framework. (Maybe you guys just want to keep the developer friendly framework)

Maybe @virk or anyone from the team can write a blog post someday about this, it would be wonderful to know what is in the developers head. :slight_smile:

Anyway, thank you for the links!

I’m waiting anxiously for the v5

1 Like

Hello @un-versed

It’s great to see someone interested in the philosophy and the principles of the framework, since debating on features with a checklist in hand is not the best way to talk about a community.

team can write a blog post someday about this
Yes, I have plans to have a complete section on the website called Why adonis?, but lemme try to share my ideas around the framework.

There is a longer and shorter version to it, I will keep the longer version for Why Adonis section. In short, I believe in improving the developer experience with the framework by

• Being consitent with the API.
  • Reducing the amount of tools you need to run AdonisJs. For example: I never added babel or webpack to transpile the AdonisJs code, coz at one side you can use new Javascript features quickly, but it turns out to be a hell for someone new to these crazy transpiling environments.
  • I hate mix-matching modules to get something work. Many Node.js framework suffers from this, where they wrap express into their own brand and call it a framework. That’s why I wrote AdonisJs from ground up, so that I can control every part of the framework and abstract most of the dirty work. Just look at the social authentication code of AdonisJs and passport.js
  • I am not obsessed with speed. With obsession, I mean, I will never close issues, saying this will reduce the performance of the framework. If something is a real world problem and needs to be done, then why leave it on the end user to figure it out? Without looking down on fastify, I have seen they are obsessed with speed, that we even turn down simple features like optional params on the name of speed.
7 Likes

Nice to read this!

I’m waiting for the Why adonis? section.

Do you have any plans to translate the docs page?

I can help with a pt-br translation, if you think it’s a good option to expand the docs.

I’m here to help as I can!

:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like