Update or create entity of 1-1 relationship in lucid

Hey, what is the best way to do an upsert on a 1-1 belongsTo relationship. In following example, one user has one address at most. The user_id is the fkey of the the address table.

class User extends Model {
  address(){
    return this.hasOne('App/Models/Address');
  }
}

class Address extends Model {
  user(){
     return this.belongsTo('App/Models/User');
  }
}

// inside the update of the UserController
const user = await auth.getUser()
await user.address().create({ country: 'US' }); // <-- this will create multiple addresses if called more than once. I would like to update an existing address or insert.

Why are you using hasOne if a user can have multiple addresses?

An Adress belongs to a user

class Address .....
  user() {
    return this.belongsTo('App/Models/User');
  }

And a User hasMany Addresses

class User ....
  addresses() {
    return this.hasMany('App/Models/Address');
  }

To create multiple address within your store method checkout thecreateMany lucid docs

// Object which contains your multiple addresses which will be stored in your User model
const address = {
}
// call createMany on the User model with your addresses object from above
await user.addresses().createMany(addresses);

If you want to update an existing one check if a record exist and call the lucid fill method.

Thank you. One user always has one address. I’ll use modelInstance.merge() or modelInstance.fill. I was hoping there would be an easier way to perform upserts that didn’t require me to check if the address exists first.

Then you should maybe consider another Database structure. For example one Table for the default address and another Table for all additional addresses.

That’s how i would do it i think. It’s almost the same with all those E-Commerce systems. You have one default address, but many shipping addresses for example.

Or if you use only one table, each address has a boolean if it’s the default address or something like that.

You can use fill if you create a new one, or merge to update a model.